Home on vacation, Budgam boy loses leg at Tosamadian

Home on vacation, Budgam boy loses leg at Tosamadian
  • 24

Wasim Majeed was injured when an unexploded shell went off at Tosamaidan meadow on August 12

ZOOGU (BUDGAM): Shahena, 40, is using a hand-fan to comfort her son, Wasim Majeed Ganie, lying on a bed at his home in Zoogu, a remote tribal village in Budgam district.
Wasim, 14, a class-8 student, has been feeling dizzy since doctors amputated his right leg after he was grievously injured in an explosion at Tosamaidan.
On August 12, an unexploded shell went off in Tosamaidan meadow in which a college student Wajid Ahmad Ahanger died and several others, including Wasim, were injured.
Wasims’ father Abdul Majeed Ganie is a head constable with the Central Reserve Police Force. Wasim spends most of his time at his maternal uncle’s home in Arunachal Pradesh.
Shaheena, his mother, hails from Arunachal Pradesh and and had converted from Christianity to Islam to marry Majeed, who was posted in the region in 1990’s.
Wasim is only of the four siblings who has lived with maternal grandparents in Aruanchal since childhood, the rest stay here in Kashmir.
The family said, he had come home on August 7 during his school vacations to spend Eid with the family, and left for Tosamadian on August 9.
“Everything was going fine. On August 9, they decided to go for a week long picnic at Tosamaidan, a famous tourist resort,” Shaheena said.
“They took along everything they needed, and after spending three days there they met with an accident, which snatched our happiness.”
Wasim, writhing in pain, suddenly, broke his silence: “We had minor injuries but when we were shifted to SKIMS Bemina for emergency treatment, they did not pay heed to us,” Wasim said.
“We were kept outside, unattended for almost 12 hours that resulted in blood loss. Had they treated us in time, neither Wajid would have died nor I would have lost my leg,” he added.
Before he could speak further, he cried out in pain. “ba modus, ha ba modus (I died, oh I died), “khudayo mya kya gow (oh God what happened to me)”.
The pain intensified and he started crying loudly, the sobbing cries were followed by her mother and everyone who has come to see him.
The atmosphere changed and a grim silence hung in the room.
“He was shifted from JVC to Soura, where he had gone through multiple surgeries in his leg. He had injury in right lower limb,” Shaheena said, interrupting the silence.
“The doctors tried their level best to save his leg but it was the providence of God that doctors had no option other than to amputate his leg,” she said.
Tahir Bashir, a friend of Wasim, said that the total expenditure on his treatment was more than Rs 3.50 lakh. “Out of that Rs 1 lakh was compensated by the district administration and rest by the family.”
Shaheena said that he was discharged from the hospital on Sep 1, but since then, “no one has slept ever”.
“He is writhing in pain and is restless. We are in a mental trauma,” Shaheena said.
“Why this innocent killing only happens in Kashmir? Why these bombs only explode in Kashmir?” Shaheena rued.
“Today it was my one son and tomorrow it may be other two sons. Who cares here, none?” She added. “It is the sheer negligence of the concerned authorities who claimed that they have sanitized the area but hundreds of unexploded shells are still present in the meadow.”