Court directs prosecution to produce witness in 2012 Batamallo murder

Court directs prosecution to produce witness in 2012 Batamallo murder
  • 9

Srinagar: The court of Additional Sessions Judge Srinagar Monday directed prosecution to produce witnesses in support of the allegation against the accused in a 2012 murder case in Batamaloo locality of Srinagar.
The two accused Muneer Aziz War, a resident of Kupwara, and Izhar-ul-Islam, a resident of Bijebahara, were arrested by police in May 2012 and booked under sections 302 and 201 RPC for the murder of one Wali Mohammad Hajam, son of Ghulam Rasool, a resident of Wagat Handwara. Wali, a mason, had been putting up in Batamaloo in 2012 when he disappeared. A missing report was filed by his cousin in May 15, 2012, after which police picked up 25 people for questioning.
The investigation later zeroed in on Muneer and Izhar, who were also putting up in Batamaloo.
Police investigation concluded that Wali had been murdered, and his body dumped at a partially earth filled plot of land in Firdousabad locality of Batamallo.
Police said the main accused, Muneer, had harboured grudge and jealousy against the victim on account of Wali’s close proximity with a girl to whom Muneer was attracted to and purportedly had a relation with.
The second accused, Izhar, according to police, was called by Muneer to facilitate the disposal of the corpse.
On sustained questioning, the police report says, Muneer identified the site where he dumped the body and also the led the investigators to the weapon of offence – a sharp edged 16 inch knife.
The accused and victim had been living in the same locality and were acquainted with each other. The accused disclosed to police that on the fateful day Wali had visited Muneer’s residence, where they had an argument about their relation with the girl.
Muneer did not like Wali’s proximity with the girl and his frequent visits to her house.
Muneer, according to the investigation, had already procured a sharp edged knife from a blacksmith from Rainawari and gave a couple of blows to Wali on his head with the weapon thereby causing his death.
The counsel for accused, Mohd Abdullah Pandit pleaded before the court that prosecution be directed to produce the witnesses on the next hearing, which was fixed for September 6.