Govt school headmaster beaten up inside army camp

Govt school headmaster beaten up inside army camp
  • 41

Anantnag: A government school headmaster was allegedly ruthlessly beaten up by army soldiers – after summoning him to their camp and accusing him and other teachers of propagating “pro-freedom (Azadi)” teachings at the school, here in Shopian district of south Kashmir.
The headmaster has been identified as Mushtaq Ahmad Mir, son of Abdul Rehman Mir, resident of Mughalpora village in Pulwama district. Mir is the headmaster at Government Upper Primary School in Daramdora village of Shopian.
Mir told Kashmir Reader today that he received a call on Saturday from army men summoning him to the 44 RR camp in nearby Hawl village.
“Army officials have been dropping by at our school and have been respectful earlier, even promising some stuff for the school,” Mir said.
On Saturday, however, he said he was made to wait at the camp gate for half an hour before being taken to an interrogation centre inside the camp.
“They kept beating me, accusing me of propagating pro-freedom and anti-national teachings at the school,” Mir said, adding that the army men, in presence of the officials, kept beating him ruthlessly for almost three hours.
Mir was asked to give names of teachers with pro-freedom ideology and was also accused of making students write anti-India slogans on school walls.
He said that he pleaded with the officials saying he was diabetic, but they paid no heed.
“They kept beating me ruthlessly. I was let go of after about three hours of torture, following which I called one of my teachers who took me to hospital,” Mir said.
Mir has not been able to sit properly since the beating, even for a photograph of his to be clicked for the newspaper.
“I am in absolute pain,” he said, adding that his condition did not allow him to go file a complaint before the police.
The said army camp in Hawl, of the 44 RR, was recently in news after residents of Arbal Nikas village protested the highhandedness of army officials and personnel of the camp.
The protesting residents had demanded immediate removal of the camp from the area.
Kashmir Reader talked to army spokesperson Colonel Rajesh Kalia about the incident. He refuted the allegations. “The said person was not detained by our men, so the question of torturing him does not arise. The allegations are completely baseless,” Kalia said.