Court orders FIR, probe by SIT into killing of Soura teenager in 2010

Court orders FIR, probe by SIT into killing of Soura teenager in 2010
  • 71

Srinagar: The Chief Judicial Magistrate Srinagar on Monday directed police station Soura to register an FIR and constitute an SIT to probe the killing of Umar Qayoom, a Class 11 student who was picked up by police from his home in Soura and died four days after being released from police custody in August 2010.
Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Ajaz Ahmad Khan pronounced the order in open court in presence of counsel for the victim’s family, Advocate Babar Qadri and associates, and the senior Prosecuting Officer representing the State. The magistrate ordered that a special investigation team (SIT) headed by SSP Srinagar be constituted after registration of a first information report (FIR) over the killing of Umar Qayoom.
The magistrate also directed that an investigation be conducted by the Divisional Commissioner Kashmir on why an FIR was not registered in 2010. The court asked why proceedings under section 176 CrPC had not been carried out and a report submitted to the authority concerned.
The magistrate set a deadline of one month for submitting of the report by the Divisional Commissioner. The court ordered that the SIT should be headed by Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Srinagar, as directed in previous orders passed in the instant case. The Station House Officer (SHO) Soura was directed to provide all assistance to the SIT and to the Divisional Commissioner in their investigations.
For the past eight years, Umar Qayoom’s family had been trying to get an FIR registered over the killing of their teenage son.
An application was filed by Umar’s father in the CJM’s court stating that on August 20, 2010, his son was arrested by policemen from police station Soura. The application said that Umar was beaten so mercilessly in police custody that his internal organs were damaged and he died of the injuries on August 25, 2010, four days after he was released from police custody.
The application stated that despite repeated requests, police station Soura did not register an FIR.
The SHO Soura submitted a report to the court that Umar Qayoom along with two other persons was detained under preventive measures under Sections 107 and 151 CrPC. The detained persons were produced before the Executive Magistrate 1st Class North on 21/8/2010. The three persons were released on bail bonds by the Magistrate and they were handed over to their family after complying with all legal formalities, the SHO’s report stated.