Tral shuts again, for the fourth day since Tuesday

Tral shuts again, for the fourth day since Tuesday
  • 3

People demand release of detained family members of local militants


TRAL: A complete shutdown was observed on Monday (the fourth day since Tuesday) in Tral town of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district and its peripheral areas against the arrest of more than a dozen relatives of local Hizb militants late Tuesday evening.
There were no reports of any stone pelting or protests from anywhere in the town or the peripheries.
All commercial establishments including shops and other places of work remained closed throughout the day. Offices and schools in the area however functioned normally. Traffic too was very thin in the town and peripheral areas.
The people, here in Tral, are demanding immediate release of the detained members of militant families. The family members of local Hizb militants were arrested late Tuesday evening from their homes in different parts of Tral.
The arrests were made hours after a Special Police Officer (SPO) was shot at and injured in Pastuna area on the outskirts of Tral town.
The detained people include more than a dozen family members of local militants including Adil Ahmad Mir of Monghama village, Adfar Fayaz Parray of Ameerabad and Hammad Khan of Seer village.
“They have been kept behind the bars for no reason at all. This is only to intimidate the militants make them feel vulnerable,” a relative of one of the detained told Kashmir Reader.
He said the police have been relentless and have kept the detained for no reason at all.
“We have been making regular rounds of the police station and other offices of the police officials, but to no avail,” a relative of another militant said.
The relatives did not want to be named for fear of reprisal by the police.
Among the detained is a 17-year-old, class 11th student, Talib Fayaz, Adfar Fayaz’s brother from Ameerabad.
Talib was scheduled to appear in his exams, a day after he was arrested on Tuesday. Sources said that he was allowed to appear in the exams and re-arrested soon after.
SDPO Tral, Aijaz Ahmad, said that there was no shutdown in the area.
“Everything is open,” he said. Asked when the family members of the militants will be released he told the reporter to talk to SSP, Zahid Malik, in this regard.
Awantipora SSP, Zahid Malik, however did not respond to repeated calls and texts made by this reporter.