Youth critically injured during clashes in Shopian village

Youth critically injured during clashes in Shopian village
  • 2

8 persons with pellet injures brought to PHC, district hospital

Shopian: A youth was critically injured after a bullet fired by government forces hit him in the abdomen during clashes at Tengwani village in Tukroo area of Shopian district on Friday. Several others sustained pellet injuries in the forces’ action, health officials and witnesses said.
Official sources told Kashmir Reader that a joint team of government forces comprising 44 RR of army, 14 Battalion of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), and Special Operations Group (SOG) of police launched a cordon and search operation (CASO) following “intelligence inputs” about presence of militants in Tengwani village.
Soon after the village was cordoned, scores of protesters hit the streets and hurled rocks on the forces, who hit back with tear smoke shells, sound canisters, bullets and pellets to disperse the crowd, resulting in injuries to several people.
Medical Superintendent of district hospital Pulwama, Dr Abdul Rasheed, told Kashmir Reader that four injured persons were brought to the hospital during the day. “Two had firearm injuries and they were referred to Srinagar hospitals. The two others had pellet injuries and were treated in the district hospital,” he said.
Local residents who witnessed the clashes identified one of the bullet-injured persons as Fayaz Ahmad Padder, son of Ghulam Muhammed Padder, resident of Pottarwal village in Shopian district. They said he hit by a bullet in his abdomen.
The eyewitnesses said that 10 others persons were injured by pellets and were treated locally.
A doctor at Primary Health Centre Rajpora said that six pellet-injured persons were brought to the centre and they were under treatment.
A senior police officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that police were ascertaining the details of the Tukroo clashes. When asked about the civilian injuries, he said police will issue a press release in this regard.
Eyewitness said that later in evening, at about 8pm, the seven-hour-long operation was called off after no contact with militants was established in the village.