Army resumes search operation in Gurez sector

  • 2
    Shares

Srinagar: The army on Wednesday resumed the search operation in Bagtor forest range near Line of control in Gurez sector of Bandipora in northern part of Kashmir.

Although the operation was launched in the wee hours, but the army has not established any fresh contact with the militants, so far, sources said.

The operation was suspended Tuesday night due to darkness, however, the forest range remained under a tight cordon throughout.

Sources declined to comment on whether the “remaining militants” have escaped back across or are yet in the area.

Meanwhile, the troops deployment has been increased and para-commando’s have also been pressed into action, the sources added.

On Tuesday, four army personnel were killed in the gunfight with militants who are believed to have infiltrated from across the Line of Control. Besides, two militants were also killed.

The slain army men include Major K Prakash Kumar Rane (SM), soldiers Vikram Jeet Singh, Hameer Singh and Mandeep Singh of 36 Rashtriya Rifles (RR). The identity of the slain militants is yet to be ascertained.

Meanwhile, army today paid glorious tributes to its four personnel.

“In a solemn ceremony at BB Cantt, Lt Gen AK Bhatt, Chinar Corps Commander and all ranks, paid homage to the martyrs on behalf of a proud nation. In a show of solidarity, SP Vaid, DGP Jammu and Kashmir Police and representatives from other security agencies also joined in to pay their last respects,” an army spokesperson said in a statement here.