Family of Pulwama student arrested in Jammu contest police claim

Family of Pulwama student arrested in Jammu contest police claim
  • 8

Local police also clueless

Suhail A Shah

Anantnag: The family of a student from Pulwama district arrested in Jammu – allegedly with eight hand grenades and a cash amount of 60,000 rupees – have contested police claims and maintained that their detained son had no militant links, whatsoever.
Irfan Hassan Wani, 22, son of Late Ghulam Hassan of Dangerpora, Padgampora in police district Awantipora was detained Sunday night from Gandhi Nagar area in Jammu city.
Wani has recently finished writing his papers for BA final year, which he was pursuing from Government Degree College in Pulwama. He also worked part time, as a teacher, at a local private school, as per his family.
Police, in Jammu, said that Wani was carrying the hand grenades to Delhi, where he was scheduled to hand them over to someone else.
“He was apprehended late last night in Gandhi Nagar and upon investigation he has revealed that he was in touch with the terror outfit Ansar GHazwat-ul-Hind (AGH) deputy, Rehan,” Inspector General of Police (IGP) Jammu, S D Singh Jamwal, said in a press conference Monday.
Sources said that a team from Delhi Police will be arriving soon in Jammu to question Wani.
His family, however, has strongly refuted the claims made by the police in Jammu.
“He has no militant links whatsoever. I don’t know why he is being framed like this,” Wani’s elder brother, Ali Muhammad, told Kashmir Reader.
He said that Wani had left home on Friday afternoon following an altercation with his mother, who had rebuked him for not studying hard enough. “He had some savings he had earned working as a teacher at a private school. He took those 70,000 rupees and left home and switched his phone off,” Muhammad said.
He said that Wani has never been involved in any militancy related activity, whatsoever, never been a part of any protests and never showed any bent towards such things.
“I am his brother and I might lie but you can ask anyone in the village. He just wanted to study and after our father’s death I ensured that he gets enough support to complete his studies,” Muhammad said.
He said that he was at loss and unable to understand anything at all.
Muhammad was summoned to the local police station and he said he has given the same account, in detail, to the police as well.
“If he had any links he would have at least been summoned by police at any point in time. No such thing has ever happened. He has no police record at all,” Muhammad said.
Police in Awantipora district, meanwhile, have corroborated most of what Wani’s family had to say about him. “He had no prior police records. He has never been under surveillance and has never been summoned to the police station,” a senior police
official in Awantipora told Kashmir Reader. He said that the police here are still clueless about the case and their counterparts in Jammu are for now carrying out the investigations.