Handicapped Kupwara man provokes youth for stone pelting: Police report to SHRC

Handicapped Kupwara man provokes youth for stone pelting: Police report to SHRC
  • 1

Srinagar: A police report filed before State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) has held a handicapped man from Kupwara responsible for provoking youth for stone pelting while stating that the allegations regarding beating the said person by police are baseless.
The report filed by Director General of Police (DGP) J&K states that on April 5, 2018 in view of Hartal, two constables namely Tariq Ahmed and Rameez Hussain alongwith head constable Bashir Ahmed were deputed to Bazar Khurhama for maintaining law and order. “The head constable reported back with one handicapped man namely Wali Mohammad Mir of Khurhama and stated that during duty, the said person was found provoking the youth for stone pelting at the chowk. He was restrained from such activities but he denied and continued to provoke the youth. He was detained under preventive measures and later was released on bail,” the report said.
Moreover to this, the reports says, the said person is also involved in a case FIR no. 97/2016 under charges of stone pelting and disruption of public order. “The person being handicapped was not arrested in the case but he is taking due advantage of his disability and is breaching the peace by provoking the youth for unlawful activities,” states the report.
The report further states that the allegations regarding beating the handicapped person by police are ‘baseless’.
The report was filed in response to a petition filed by human rights activist Ahsan Untoo which states that a handicapped person namely Mohammad Wali Mir of Khurhama, Lolab, was brutally beaten by policemen.
“The incident occurred when the handicapped Mir went to buy bread from a nearby baker (kandur) in the morning but on way he was apprehended by police and taken to a nearby police station where he was beaten ruthlessly by station house officer (SHO) and other policemen for around 10-15 minutes. Mir asked the policeman what had he done, to which he was beaten again by the concerned SHO of the police station and other policemen present there,” the petition stated.
“At around 1pm, the petition stated, the Deputy Superintendent of SOG (special operations group) was called to the police station and he took away Mir to the SOG quarter,” it said.
“At the said quarter his clothes were taken off and the SOG personnel beat him up to pulp. He was asked by the SOG men why you have raised an objectionable flag on a tree, to which Mir replied that he being a handicapped person cannot walk properly how come he will raise a flag at such height. Mir was again beaten and was taken back to police station Koligam. For the whole night he was kept there and on the next morning at around 8 am, a dozen SOG men and other policemen started beating him again. The blood started oozing out from his mouth. The concerned SHO of the police station told two policemen to go to Mir’s house and inform his family to take him back,” the petition stated.
The three family members of Mir came to the police station where they found him in a very bad condition, the petition said, adding that on prior visits made by Mir’s family to the police station, the SHO had not released him.
Later, Mir was hospitalised and doctors at the Handwara sub district hospital referred him to a Srinagar hospital for better treatment. “The doctors have said that due to the continuous beating, Mir had suffered injuries which can prove fatal for him,” Untoo had said in his petition.
The petition had pleaded that action be taken against the erring police officers and report be submitted before the commission to answer why this kind of injustice is being done with innocent people and that, too, with a handicapped person.