Hurriyat activist detained under PSA again despite failing health

Hurriyat activist detained under PSA again despite failing health
  • 49

Abdul Rehman Tantray had suffered brain haemorrhage at Kot Balwal jail last year

Srinagar: A 60-year-old Hurriyat activist from Baramulla who had suffered a brain haemorrhage in Kot Balwal jail on February 10 last year, has again been booked under the infamous Public safety Act despite his deteriorating health and sent to Kot Balwal jail.
Abdul Rehman Tantray from Fatehpora Baramulla, who is a member of Sehrai-led Tehreek-e-Hurriyat, was booked under PSA in November 2016, after Kashmir simmered in protests over the killing of Hizb commander Burhan Wani. The PSA order issued by District Magistrate Baramulla accused him of organizing and taking part in the uprising.
A family member of Tantary told Kashmir Reader that during his detention in Kot Balwal, Tantary was beaten by police on his head, that consequently developed a clot in his head.
He said Tantray developed facial palsy after the hemorrhage that left him “more than 50 percent disabled”. While his PSA was quashed on March 7, 2017, his family said, Tantray was immediately taken by CIK Jammu.
“Sensing that Tantray’s health was deteriorating, CIK sent him to Baramulla, where he was kept in sub-jail.”
As his health kept deteriorating under custody and after several checkups in SKIMS under police custody, the family of Tantray was told to get a bail, his relatives said.
Tantray’s health did not improve after his release despite several consultations at Khyber Medical Institute and SKIMS Soura. His son told Kashmir Reader that on his last check up at Khyber Medical Institute after Eid, Tantray’s blood sugar had jumped to 583.
“He had to spend a few days in the hospital,” he said.
On July 5, Tantray again complained of some health issues and was driven to Khyber Medical Institute Srinagar for treatment. “At Khyber doctors said that his blood sugar was as high as 383. He was injected with some medicines,” his son said. When the family was driving back home from Srinagar hospital, a police official from Baramulla police station called Tantray and told him to present himself at the police station for “some urgent work”.
“As we reached the police station, the Station House Officer informed us that there was an FIR pending against Tantray and that it needed a bail. His son pleaded the SHO to allow his father to go home as he had just come back from a medical checkup and was not putting up well,” another relative who accompanied the family to SKIMS said.
However, the SHO did not let him go and asked his son to get a bail and take him home the next day. “While the family was still in the police station, Tantray’s health again deteriorated and he was again injected,” the relative said.
Tantray son said that the family left the police station at 9pm after assurances from police that he would be released the next day on bail.
However, when the family reached the police station next morning, Tantray had already been moved to Kot Balwal jail.
“When we reached the police station and inquired about our father, we were informed that he was shifted to Kot Balwal jail at 2am,” his son said.
Tantray, a shopkeeper by profession, was earlier jailed for four years in the 1990s and was arrested again in 2008 and 2010.
Two of his sons have also served detention under Public Safety Act during the last three years while his third son was detained for two months in 2016 in Baramulla.
SSP Baramulla Imtiyaz Hussain told Kashmir Reader that Tantray was again found “involved in illegal activities” and therefore detained by an order of district magistrate for a period of three months.
About the family’s contention that Tantray was critically ill at the time of his shifting to Kot Balwal jail, Imtiyaz said, that before being sent to the jail, necessary medical check-up of Tantray was conducted.
“Hospital authorities cleared him for detention,” he said. “Police has no role in that.”