Anantnag: At least two Cordon and Search Operations (CASOs), one each in Anantnag and Pulwama districts, were conducted by government forces on Monday to signal the end of the ceasefire or Non Initiation of Combat Operations (NICO) for the month of Ramazan.
The NICO was announced by the central government on May 17. Since then, there was a complete halt in anti-militancy operations across Kashmir, particularly in the southern region that is considered to be the hotbed of militancy.
Exactly a month later, on June 17, Home Minister Rajnath Singh announced the end of the NICO, citing one reason as “non-cooperation” from the militants’ side.
“It was expected that everyone will cooperate in ensuring the success of this initiative. While the security forces have displayed exemplary restraint during the period, the terrorists have continued with their attacks, on civilians and security forces, resulting in death and injuries,” Singh tweeted.
He further wrote that the security forces were being directed to take all necessary actions, as earlier.
Government forces early Monday morning cordoned off Waghama village in Bijbehara area of Anantnag district. All entry and exit points were sealed and door-to-door searches were carried out.
“There were no clashes in the area and the CASO ended peacefully after a few hours,” a senior police officer told Kashmir Reader.
In the evening, another CASO was initiated by government forces in Cheeni Mill Mohalla, Alochibagh, in Samboora in Pulwama district.
Soon after the CASO was launched, violent clashes erupted in the area as people made announcements over mosque loudspeakers urging people to come out.
“The CASO is still on and more reinforcements are being rushed to the area,” a police officer from the district told Kashmir Reader.
The officer said that anti-militancy operations will now be carried out normally as earlier.