Ramazan truce ends, Govt directs forces’ to resume anti-militancy operations

Ramazan truce ends, Govt directs forces’ to resume anti-militancy operations
  • 60
    Shares

Srinagar: The government of India on Sunday announced ending unilateral ceasefire announced at at the beginning of Ramazan last month.

Home minister Rajnath Singh took to the Twitter to announce ending the truce. “The Security Forces are being directed to take all necessary actions as earlier to prevent terrorists from launching attacks and indulging in violence and killings,” he said.

Militant outfits had rejected the ceasefire and mounted attack on forces in Kashmir during the period.  The youngsters joining militant ranks did not also stop as more youth signed as militants during this period.

“It was expected that everyone will cooperate in ensuring the success of this initiative. While the security forces have displayed exemplary restraint during this period, the terrorists have continued with their attacks, on civilians and SFs, resulting in deaths and injuries,” Singh added.

On May 17, Narendra Modi led government had  halted counterinsurgency operation in the region on the suggestion of chief minister Mehbooba Mufti. She held a marathon all-party meeting in Srinagar for the truce but faced opposition from her own coalition party for the peace initiative. The militants had rejected the initiative and staged attacks including the abduction of a soldier and killing him later.

“The Government commends the role of security forces for having implemented the decision in letter and spirit in the face of grave provocation, to enable the Muslim brothers and sisters to observe Ramzan in a peaceful manner,” said the home minister in a series of tweets.

Rajnath also made an appeal to “peace loving people” to join together so that “misguided” youth are motivated to return to mainstream.

“The Government will continue with its endeavour to create an environment free of terror and violence in Jammu and Kashmir,’ he added.

Last week, a high profile meeting to review Ramazan ceasefire initiative was held at New Delhi. The meeting will be second of its kind after the one chaired by Singh in Kashmir recently.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.