SRINAGAR: Family and friends of Tufail Mattoo, who was killed in police firing in 2010, on Monday visited the grave of the slain boy at martyr’s graveyard and paid glorious tributes to him.
The father of slain Tufail had organized the fateha khawani at his grave on eighth “martyrdom” anniversary.
Besides family and friends, a few political activists also showed up at his grave and offered fateha. Tufail Mattoo was a 17-year old boy whose killing sparked the 2010 public uprising in Kashmir.
On the occasion, Tufail’s father, Muhammad Ashraf Mattoo vowed that he would continue the struggle for justice.
“We will continue to fight for justice and will not succumb to their (government) pressure,” Mattoo said.
He said that the government had several opportunities in the past to deliver justice, however, every time they have failed to do so.
“They do not want justice to be done,” Mattoo said.
Questioning the will of the state in pursuing the case, Mattoo said that when they (police) could arrest dozens of boys, although all being innocents, in the lynching case of Nowhatta in which a DySP was killed, why is it that they are not even able to make any leads in “martyr” Tufails case, he asked.
On the status of the case, Mattoo said that so far he has been made to make rounds of lower court and high court.
“Nothing has happened till date,” he said, however, “I am not going to back off. I will get justice delivered, Insha Allah,” the optimistic father said.
Mattoo was killed on 11 June 2010, when he was hit by a teargas shell fired by police in the head. The slain teenager was returning home from tuitions.
The then Chief Minister Omar Abdullah appointed a retired judge Justice ML Koul to probe the civilian killings of 2010. The Koul Commission report was handed over to the present Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti in December 2016 in which it was recommended that a CBI enquiry should be ordered in Tufail’s case.
However, the slain teenager’s father rejected the commission report and called it a ‘cover up’.
“I had appeared before the commission with a hope that the points raised by me in my letter to it would be considered. One of the main points was that it should also summon and examine the perpetrators responsible for my son’s killing and also question those who were at the helm of affairs in 2010, including the Chief Minister,” Mattoo said.
“But, what appears, as is evident from the news reports about the commission’s final report, the perpetrators have been let off and it now appears to me that the judicial commission was just a cover-up,” he added.