6 militants killed in Keran: army

6 militants killed in Keran: army
  • 23

Two militants killed in June 7 gunfight hail from Kupwara

Kupwara: The Indian Army on Sunday claimed to have foiled an infiltration bid and killed six militants in Keran village along the Line of Control in north Kashmir’s Kupwara.
An army spokesperson said that the army’s 44 GR regiment posted along the LoC in Keran sector saw a group of militants entering this side of LoC on Saturday night. When challenged, the militants fired on the army triggering a gunfight in which six “heavily armed militants” were killed.
Srinagar-based spokesperson of Indian Army Col RK Panday confirmed that six militants were killed when a group of militants entered this side of LoC.
Senior Superintendent of Police Kupwara AS Dinkar said, “It was an infiltration bid in which army killed six militants. The bodies are being recovered from the spot. It was the area of 44 GR regiment. Their soldiers killed the militants,” SSP Kupwara said.
The area is far from any civilian habitation and the army and police are the only sources of information. Kashmir Reader could not verify the details independently.
Ten militants have been killed in the month of June at LoC in Kupwara sector in three different encounters. An army trooper injured in one of the encounters is battling for life in hospital.
Meanwhile, two militants killed along the LoC on June 7 have ben identified as residents of Kupwara. The duo from Haihama in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district, killed in a gunfight along the Line of Control (LoC) near Gulab Post adjacent to Lasdat area two days ago, were buried in Pakistan-administered Kashmir (PaK).
Abdul Majeed Khan (38), a resident of Manigah, Hajinaka village in Haihama and Mohammad Rafeeq Paswal (39) of Humander village in Haihama had crossed the border in 2007.
On June 7 this month, a gunfight broke out between a group of Al-Badr militants and the army manning the fence near Gulab Post in Lasdat area adjacent to Shalabhutu in Kupwara. Two militants were killed.
A group of people from the other side managed to take away the bodies of the duo, that had been lying for a day at Shonter Nallah, on late night of June 8, the families of the slain told GNS adding that the bodies were buried on June 9 (Saturday) at around 3:30 pm at Thotha village in district Muzaffarabad, PaK.
Sources said that despite attempts, the army could not retrieve the bodies due to intermittent firing from other members of the militant group.
The relatives of the duo here in Haihama said they have received information about their death through relatives from other part of Kashmir.
“Both of them had crossed across the border and were settled in PaK. They married there and have children,”said Parvez Ahmad, a relative of Mohammad Rafeeq.
He said on June 8, the family received information that both were killed in the gunfight.
A top security official when contacted said that they have launched investigations into the incident. “We had intelligence inputs about the possible infiltration of Al-Badr militant outfit,” he said.
Meanwhile, sources said that a search operation which has started post gunfight in the whole area of Lasdat and Shalabhutu was ongoing.