Police solves murder case within 12 hours in Ganderbal, arrest accused

Police solves murder case within 12 hours in Ganderbal, arrest accused
  • 1

GANDERBAL: Police have solved a murder case within 12 hours and arrested the accused for allegedly killing a man in this central Kashmir district.
In a press briefing here on Sunday, SSP Ganderbal Fayaz Ahmad Lone said that Police Station Kheerbawani on June 1 received a written complaint from one Ghulam Ahmad Khanday that his son was missing since May 31 from Ganderbal.
“A missing report was lodged and investigation was taken up,” he said, adding a special team was constituted to trace the missing person.
“On June 2, information was received that a body is lying in the open fields of adjoining areas of village Chundina and Shalabugh. Accordingly, a police party reached the spot and recovered the body,” he said, adding the body was later identified as Mohammad Yousuf Khanday, who was missing since May 31.
He said after completing all the legal and medical formalities, the body of the deceased was handed over to his relatives for last rites.
Meanwhile, he said during the course of investigation, a number of
suspects were called for questioning. “During questioning, one suspect, Mohammad Shafi Magrey, a resident of Chundina, confessed to have committed the crime and revealed a shocking murder details which was further corroborated by the technical team of police,” he said.
He said the accused person had a financial dispute with the deceased person. “The accused person had borrowed Rs 80,000 from the deceased person with a promise of paying him back within three months, but has failed to pay him back,” he said.
He said the accused had the information that Khanday was visiting J&K Bank Branch Chundina on May 31, 2018. “The accused with a criminal intent asked the deceased person over the phone to meet him at a predefined location in order to give him back Rs 80,000. The duo met at the predefined location, where the accused handed over his check book to the deceased person and asked him to write a check on behalf of the accused person as the accused person is illiterate,” he said.
SSP said the moment the deceased person bowed down to write the check for himself, the accused person hit his hind brain portion with a large stone, which was already kept there by the accused person.
“Khanday got unconscious following which he was hit by the accused several times on the head, neck and chest,” he said.
“The accused after getting the confirmation about the death of the deceased person, has took away his ATM card, Aadhar card, mobile phone, pan card and cash of Rs 13,500 and fled from the spot,” he said.
SSP said the accused then boarded a vehicle in Towheed Chowk Ganderbal for Lal Chowk, Srinagar. “After reaching Lal Chowk, the accused boarded another vehicle for Pulwama, where he abandoned the mobile phone of the deceased in order to mislead the investigation agencies,” he added.