BARAMULLA: A power receiving station installed inside the National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) colony in Boniyar area of Uri was damaged in a fire incident on Sunday.
Official sources said that fire broke out inside the receiving station on Sunday morning and it also engulfed a transformer of PDD department and a nearby hut. Soon after the incident, a police team from police station Boniyar and fire tenders reached the spot and douse the flames. However, two transformers 6.3 MVA of NHPC and 4.0 MVA of PDD damaged completely in the incident. Due to the fire, panic gripped the whole area. The transporters shifted their vehicles from Sumo stand to far from the area. The locals said that due to damage of receiving station and PDD transformer almost 25 villages of Boniyar tehsil may effect in this holy month.
The cause of fire was not immediately known, however sources said that fire was broke out due to electric short circuit. Police has registered a case in this regard and started investigation.
Meanwhile, MLA Uri Mohammad Shafi Uri expressed his deep concern and appealed authorities to install new transformers at the place so that the people could not suffer in this holy month.
Meanwhile, PRO NHPC said: “A fire broke out in transformer of JKPDD installed adjacent to Barrage Complex of Uri -1 Power Station, NHPC Ltd. The said transformer pertains to JKPDD and was supplying electricity to local area of Boniyar. The incident was not related with Uri -1 Power Station, NHPC Ltd. in any manner.”