Police try to prevent gathering at funeral

Police try to prevent gathering at funeral
  • 77

SRINAGAR: Police on Saturday fired teargas shells at people attending the funeral of Qaiser Amin, the 21-year-old downtown youth who was crushed to death by a CRPF vehicle in Nowhatta on Friday. Eyewitnesses said that the funeral of Qaiser was attacked by teargas shells at Fateh Kadel where people had begun to assemble in the morning. They said police fired one teargas shell after the other on the crowd to break up the gathering.
Three civilians sustained pellet injuries, when government forced fired at people gathered to offer funeral for slain youth Qaiser in old city. The three were treated for injuries at SMHS hospital.
“People later gathered at Baba Demb, where a small group of people offered funeral prayers,” eyewitnesses said. “Then the body was put inside a load carrier which was filled with youngsters. On the way it was intercepted by police again. Police allowed only the elders to accompany the body to Eid-Gah Shaheed Mazar (martyrs’ graveyard) where he was laid to eternal rest. The youngsters were taken down from the load carrier and prevented from going to the Eid-Gah.”
Witnesses said that at Eid-Gah, thousands of people had gathered in advance. They offered a second round of funeral prayers for Qaiser. Later, amid pro-Pakistan slogans, the body was laid to rest.
Qaiser’s body reached home at 2.30am past Saturday midnight, nearly one-and-half-hour after he was declared dead by doctors at SKIMS. Hundreds of youth who had gathered at the hospital took the body and carried it to his ancestral residence, which had remained locked since 2010 when both his parents died.
The district administration had put restrictions in many areas of downtown immediately after the news of Qaiser’s death spread. Mobile internet was suspended and at Saturday afternoon was restored to 2G speed. All entry and exit points leading to Qaiser’s home were sealed. Government forces did not allow the movement of people across barricades put up by them.
Government forces also beat up a journalist on way to cover the funeral.
Freelance journalist, Muheet-ul-Islam, was beaten up in old city when he was on way to cover the funeral of Qaiser. The troopers, Muheet said, not only refused to lift razor wire to let him pass a barricade, but also abused him without any reason or rhyme.
Police have registered two cases into Qaiser’s death, one against the protestors at Nowhatta under Section 307 (attempt to murder), and another against the CRPF driver for causing death due to negligent driving.