Srinagar: “The Jammu and Kashmir government feels that the Government of India has shown enough flexibility to prepare the ground for dialogue in Kashmir. Sources in the PDP-BJP government said that New Delhi had taken several positive steps to signal it was serious to begin a comprehensive dialogue process on Kashmir.
The Joint Resistance Leadership (LRL) of Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik had said on Tuesday that New Delhi should come clear on the nature of talks it intends to hold.
In response to the JRL statement, sources in the government said that New Delhi had already taken a step forward by announcing the Ramazan ceasefire and also by committing to the ceasefire pact with Pakistan.
“The amnesty given to more than 12,000 youth and the appointment of the interlocutor (Dineshwar Sharma) was also a hint of the intentions of the Government of India,” the government sources said.
They said that the sequence of events is testimony to the good intentions of New Delhi.
“Who wants peace more than us? It is the people of Kashmir who should shun arrogance and show flexibility,” they said.
Independent legislator Er Rasheed told Kashmir Reader that the Government of India should send a formal invitation to Hurriyat leaders to make its dialogue offer more credible.
“We cannot predict whether the talks will be successful or not. However, we ultimately have to talk. Thirty years of violence have passed and we are yet to achieve anything or negotiate on our terms,” Rasheed said.
He said that the only way to sympathise with the people is to feel their pain and come to the table.
The sources in the government said that the talks, if they are held, will be supervised by Dineshwar Sharma and he will try to rope in all the Hurriyat leaders.
The opposition National Conference said they were optimistic about the possibility of dialogue. “Although we are optimistic, what will determine the outcome of dialogue is the ground situation,” NC General Secretary Ali Muhammad Sagar told Kashmir Reader.
Sagar, however, conceded to what the JRL had said on Tuesday. “Hurriyat was right when they said that there is ambiguity around the whole process. The Government of India is not clear. There are different statements coming from different quarters,” he said.
Sagar also said that New Delhi should come clear about the nature and scope of talks.
Tehreek-e-Hurriyat chairperson Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai said that he would not respond to the dialogue offer individually, as the JRL had already issued a statement. “Let Government of India respond to that (JRL statement), only then we can talk further about it,” he said.