Valley on ‘high alert’ after big Jaish infiltration

Valley on ‘high alert’ after big Jaish infiltration
  • 23

Series of grenade attacks in Valley after ‘more than 20 militants’ said to have crossed LoC

Anantnag/Pulwama: On the day government forces in Jammu and Kashmir were put on high alert following reports of large-scale infiltration of militants in the Valley from across the Line of Control (LoC), three grenade attacks took place and another was reported by the Tral MLA on his house, though the police called it only a firecracker, and a few gunshots were fired near a CRPF vehicle in Pulwama town.
Officials said that there were reports of infiltration of more than 20 militants into Kashmir from Pakistan-administered Kashmir (PaK) recently. They said most of the militants are believed to be affiliated to Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) outfit headed by Maulana Masood Azhar.
The government’s security grid is apprehending a spike in militant attacks in the state, particularly in the Valley, the officials said.
The government forces have been asked to remain on a high alert and maintain vigil around sensitive forces installations across the state, they said.
The officials said it is rare for such a large number of militants to infiltrate in one go.
Late on Friday afternoon, suspected militants hurled a grenade at Hari Singh Street immediately after the time of Iftaar. Police said there was no report of loss to life or damage to any property.
Late in the evening, a grenade exploded outside the CRPF’s 180 Battalion camp in Nowdal, Tral. No injuries were reported in the explosion.
In Anantnag, four paramilitary CRPF personnel, a policeman, and a civilian were injured in a grenade attack by militants in Khannabal area on Friday afternoon.
“Six people were injured in the attack, who were immediately rushed to the Anantnag district hospital,” a senior police official said. “All of them are out of danger.”
Militants hurled the hand grenade at about 3:30 in the afternoon. The police official said that the injured policeman has been identified as Abdul Majeed of Larkipora Anantnag and the injured civilian as Abdul Rasheed of Tral area.
The injured CRPF personnel, the police official said, have been identified as Muhammad Siraj (41 Bn) and Veer Singh (42 Bn) of Uttar Pradesh, Ravinder Singh (40 Bn) of Uttarakhand, and Binod Kumar of 43 Bn.
Khannabal area was cordoned off following the explosion and searches were carried out to nab the attackers.
Earlier in the day, militants fired at a CRPF vehicle near the Eidgah crossing in main town Pulwama. No one was hurt in the firing.
“The firing took place at about 8:30 AM this morning. Searches were conducted in the area but the militants had managed to flee by then,” a police official told Kashmir Reader. SSP Pulwama Mohammad Aslam Chaudhary said that suspected militants fired a few shots near the CRPF vehicle but no one was injured.
During the searches, three empty carry-bags were found near Eidgah crossing, sources said.
It was the 5th militant attack in Pulwama district in the past 4 days.
The MLA Tral, Mushtaq Ahmad Shah, claimed that his residence came under a grenade attack at Mukhdam Mohalla Tral. However, SP Awantipora Mohammad Zahid described it as a cracker and said that a blast-like sound was heard but no splinters were found at the spot.
Militants had fired a UBGL grenade towards the house of National Conference leader Mohammad Ashraf Bhat in Tral town on Wednesday.
The situation in Pulwama district has been tense as many more youth are believed to have joined militant ranks and have been frequently trying to attack the government forces.
(With PTI inputs)