Jehangir hotel canopy demolition: Court directs SHO to ascertain factual position on spot

Jehangir hotel canopy demolition: Court directs SHO to ascertain factual position on spot
  • 10
    Shares

SRINAGAR: A local court hearing a plea by Hotel Jehangir against IGP Traffic and Srinagar Municipal Corporation about the dismantling of hotel’s entrance canopy, Wednesday directed SHO Shaheed Gunj to ascertain the factual position on spot, along with the property documents and building permission copies, and video of the dismantling, submitted by the hotelier.
The hotel owner, Shabir Ahmad Rangrez, has accused Inspector General of Police (Traffic) Basant Rath and SMC officials of carrying out the demolition of canopy situated at the main entrance of the property “validly from the year 1970” illegally.
The court directed the police officer to investigate the case and thereafter proceed against the violators in terms of relevant provisions of law.
Rath and SMC Officials had demolished the concrete canopy of Jehangir Hotel to clear the footpath underneath it.
Rangrez has pleaded for initiation of contempt proceedings against the IGP Traffic, SMC commissioner, SHO Shaheed Gunj and others.
He pleaded that by virtue of a court order issued earlier in the suit, the authorities were directed not to damage the property of the plaintiff.
He submitted a pen drive containing video recording of the occurrence and relevant documents to demonstrate that officials were guilty.
The court heard the prosecution and the counsel for the petitioner at length and asked for submission of ancillary evidence.
The counsel for the petitioner said the officials were guilty of showing disrespect to court order “which amounts to gross abuse of process of law on their part aimed at depriving the petitioner from the protection available to them in terms of law”.
The prime argument of the petitioner’s counsel Ishtiyaq Ahmad Khan was that the property has validly existed at the site with permission from SMC authorities.
Khan told Kashmir Reader that the traffic regularization was a welcome step “but at the same time the rights of public at cannot be allowed to become a casualty”. The case has been listed for furthers orders on June 6.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.