Electrocuted PDD employee dies, family demands justice

Electrocuted PDD employee dies, family demands justice
  • 35

SP0PORE: An employee of Power Development Department (PDD) who was electrocuted few days back, while discharging his professional duties at Dangerpora village of Sopore succumbed to his injuries on Monday at SKIMS hospital in Srinagar.
Ghulam Mohammad Ganai, 52, son of Abdul Aziz Ganai, of Pandith Mohalla Dangerpora, was a low rung labourer in the department.
“My father was repairing a transformer in Badshah Mohalla of Sopore, when suddenly power supply resumed and he got electrocuted,” Ganai’s son Zubair Ahmad told Kashmir Reader.
“I fail to understand if the PDD had already been informed about the repairing than why did they switch on the power. It is the PDD department who are responsible for my father’s death.”
He said that Ganai had been in coma at the SKIMS for last six days.
“Even a surgery was done on him but we failed to save him. Nobody came to help us in this difficult time, neither PDD department nor any politician. Was my father not human or part of this society,” Zubair lamented.
“My father has worked in this department for over 22 years and this is how he was paid back.”
Ganai died in SKIMS at around 5pm on Monday and was reportedly the sole bread earner for his family.
“Look at the irony; he died in the village of local MLA, Haji Abdul Rashid Dar and is said to be the resident of the same village but he never came to pay condolences or for any kind of help to this family,” Farooq Ahmad Wani, a relative of the victim told Kashmir Reader.
Ganai is survived by aged mother, wife, three daughters and a lone son.