1996 Papa Kishtwari murder victim’s son has security withdrawn; court seeks to know why

1996 Papa Kishtwari murder victim’s son has security withdrawn; court seeks to know why
  • 98

Srinagar: A trial court in Srinagar has sought a reply from the J&K Police with regard to the withdrawal of security to one Zahoor Ahmed Mir who is fighting a case against murder accused and infamous government gunman Ghulam Muhammad Lone alias Papa Kishtwari.
The court of 4th Additional Sessions Judge Kamlesh Pandit has directed SSP Srinagar and SSP Security to file a report by June 5 as to why the security was withdrawn.
The application, moved by Zahoor through his counsel Advocate Babar Qadri, submitted before court that the police have reduced Zahoor’s security for reasons better known to them. In the application that was moved before court, the petitioner stated that the threat to his life still exists “as one of the accused in my father’s killing is still absconding with a weapon”. The court after hearing the arguments said, “It is the duty of the police to provide security to all the citizens and to analyze the gravity of the threat perception to an individual who has been fighting the cases as such.
“So, direction is passed to Police to file status report on the withdrawal of security to the petitioner,” the court said. The case has been listed for the next hearing on June 5.
In 2011, court of Principal Sessions Judge, Srinagar, had directed the state government to provide security to Zahoor Ahmed Mir on grounds of security threat perceptions received by him.
Papa Kishtwari, the murder accused, is allegedly involved in the killing of a Nishat contractor, Ali Muhammad Mir, who was allegedly abducted in 1996 by Kishtwari and his four associates and subsequently killed. The case dairy states that two among the associates are now dead and one, Mohammad Maqbool, is absconding. The other two, including Kishtwari, are in Central Jail Srinagar. In 1996, a missing report was lodged at Nishat police station by family members of Mir. In 2007, police stated that Kishtwari and his associates killed Mir, and a charge-sheet was produced before the court. Police have, however, failed to locate Mir’s body and have also failed to locate the absconding Maqbool.