New Delhi: Only five incidents of stone pelting were reported in Jammu and Kashmir in the first five days of suspension of operations by security forces, an official said today, citing an assessment by security agencies.
The count is from May 17 to May 21, an official said.
This is down from 92 incidents of stone pelting in the first five days of April this year when operations against militants by government forces were fully on, he said.
J&K Police chief S P Vaid also said today that the “Ramzan ceasefire” has been successful thus far.
“The initiative of Hon’ble PM has helped in general improvement in law & order. The situation especially in south Kashmir has eased & is serving as confidence Building Measure for families who want their boys to return back home (sic),” the state’s director general of police said on Twitter.
The Home Ministry announced on May 16 that government forces will not launch any operations in Jammu and Kashmir during the holy month of Ramzan.
The decision had been taken to help peace loving Muslims observe Ramzan in a peaceful environment, a Home Ministry spokesperson said.
The ministry said the security forces, however, reserve the right to retaliate if attacked or if essential to protect the lives of innocent people.