Haseeb was shot 15 days after his release from Kot Balwal jail

Haseeb was shot 15 days after his release from Kot Balwal jail
  • 130

Srinagar: Fifteen days after the 20-year old Haseeb Khan was released from Kot Balwal jail, a bullet by unknown gunmen took away his life on Monday night.
Haseeb had served seven months in detention under Public Safety Act. He was one of the three youth killed in Baramulla by unknown gunmen on Monday night.
“We have no idea how all this happened. From last seven months we have been waiting for his release from the jail but see, he has been killed mercilessly,” said Fayaz Ahmed Khan, Haseeb’s uncle.
“The family and, in particular, his mother is in deep shock. She (mother) was waiting for him since the day he was arrested. From police stations to courts, we tried everything to get him released but not for this day that he will be killed,” said Fayaz.
The police has blamed Lashkar-i-Taiba militants for killing the three youth, but no breakthrough has been made in identifying the assailants yet.
A police officer at Baramulla police station said the case was under investigation and “we are trying to nab the culprits.”
Militant outfit Hizbul Mujhideen condemned the killings and described it as handiwork of agencies.
Resistance groups have also denounced the killings, while the High Court Bar Association called for an impartial probe into the matter.
Advocate Shafkat who was pleading Haseeb’s case in the court, had met him in February.
“He was very young boy and getting killed this way is very unfortunate,” Shafkat said. Haseeb, a 12th class student, was arrested in 2016 on charges of stone pelting and disruption of law and order in Baramulla town. He was slapped with a PSA in September 2017.
The police report in his PSA dossier had described Haseeb as a “notorious stone pelter” who “was found indulging in stone pelting and enforcing strike calls given by separatist groups in Baramulla town during 2016”.
It said he was actively participating in stone pelting incidents since 2013, organizing anti-government protests and instigating the youth of Baramulla and “as such his activities were major threat to public order”.
The court had quashed the detention order no.125/DMB/PSA/2017 by holding it ‘unsustainable’ and a direction was given to state authorities to release the boy forthwith.