Clashes in Shopian after Friday prayers

Clashes in Shopian after Friday prayers
  • 2


Shopian: Clashes broke out in Shopian town after Friday prayers as protesting youth hit the streets and pelted stones on forces guarding the court complex.
The forces hit back with tear smoke shells and sound canisters. However, there were no reports of injury from either sides.
Around 5 pm clashes also broke out in Vehil village after some youth hurled stones on 44 RR garrison at Chowdarigund.
Later a police party rushed towards the area to chase the stone throwers.
Villagers said that on Thursday afternoon a man was severely beaten by army men while he was working in his orchard. They said that he was hit with gun butt and fell unconscious in the orchard.
Senior Superintendent of Police Shopian, Shailandra Mishra told Kashmir Reader that the situation in town almost remained calm.
“There were two to three incidents of stone throwing by miscreants however they were chased by security forces peacefully,” he said.
On Vehil incident he said, “There some miscreants pelted stones on army camp and a police party went there to contain the miscreants,” he said
He, however, denied having information about beating of man by forces but said that they will investigate it.
Meanwhile, a CRPF personnel was injured in Tral town on Friday during clashes that erupted between youth and government forces after Friday prayers.
The town has been observing shutdown since the killing of four Jaish militants in Laam forest on Tuesday. All shops and business establishments were closed in the town.
Eyewitnesses told Kashmir Reader that protesters pelted stones on government forces in Tral town after Friday prayers. One CRPF personnel identified as Balram was injured when he was hit by a stone in the head.
He was rushed to Sub District hospital Tral.
BMO Tral Dr Bashir Ahmad told Kashmir Reader that the injured personnel was discharged after getting treatment.
Two local militants Ishfaq Ahmad Khan of Hundroo Tral and Abid Maqbool Bhat of Khangund Tral, were among the four militants killed in a day-long gunfight in Laam Tral forests area of Pulwama district on Tuesday evening.
A police constable Lateef Gujri was also killed in the gunfight.