Food poisoning: Wedding guests rushed to hospital in Goom

Food poisoning: Wedding guests rushed to hospital in Goom
  • 3
    Shares

MAGAM: More than 50 people were taken ill at Goom Ahmedpora village of Baramulla district after eating at a marriage ceremony on Monday, Food officials said, adding, most of the patients were suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting.
The patients complained complained of diarrhoea, vomiting and abdomen pain.
They were rushed to different nearby hospitals during late hours, from where few were referred to SKIMS Bemina for further treatment. Most were admitted at SDH Magam.
A patient Sakeena Akther at Sub District Hospital Magam she felt sudden pain in abdomen and “within seconds vomiting started”.
“I was taken to nearby health centre but when it did not stop, I was referred to SKIMS Bemina,” she said.
“After some improvement I was discharged and sent back to home. But next morning, the pain again started and I was again admitted here at Magam,” she said.
She said that it can’t be said whether it was fault in food or water but most of the patients complained of this problem and have not improved yet.
Dozens of patients are still admitted at SDH Magam and SKIMS Bemina and few have been discharged.
The village is under the jurisdiction of medical block Pattan.
Block Medical Officer Pattan, Dr Manzoor told Kashmir Reader said that the outbreak was probably due to use of contaminated water and food.
“We have sent our team (including doctors) to the village and till now we come to know that there was a marriage ceremony where they might have taken contaminated water and food.”
“A team will again visit the village tomorrow and will take a detailed survey from the village regarding the cause of outbreak,” he said.
“All patients have been treated promptly and their condition is stable now,” officials said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.