Kashmir: 22-year-old Kangan youth succumbs

Kashmir: 22-year-old Kangan youth succumbs
  • 3

Schools, colleges, KU to stay shut today

SRINAGAR: The district magistrate Ganderbal on Tuesday ordered a magisterial probe to ascertain the cause of death of 22-year-old Gowhar Ahmad Rather, who was admitted to SKIMS Soura in critical condition on Monday evening and succumbed to his injuries today. Police said on Monday that Gowhar, a resident of Kangan, fell at the edge of a drain when he was being chased during a protest demonstration. The police claim was refuted by Medical Superintendent SKIMS Dr Farooq Jan, who told Kashmir Reader that Gowhar had a firearm injury in his head.
Protests rocked Kangan after Gowhar’s body reached home. Stone-fighting between protesters and police led to two more civilian injures. Both patients were brought to SKIMS Soura. Dr Farooq Jan said that one of them had hematoma, a swelling of clotted blood, for which he was being operated on. The other had minor injury in his head.
At Kangan, 10 policemen were injured in today’s clashes, including the Deputy Superintendent (Operations), Assistant Sub Inspector, and Station House Officer Gund. A doctor at trauma hospital Kangan told Kashmir Reader that they were given first-aid and later discharged from hospital.
Amid a complete shutdown observed across the Valley, protests were witnessed at many parts of south Kashmir. At Anantnag, forces opened fire in the air and fired teargas shells in Dialgam area during clashes. Minor protests were reported in parts of Shopian district. In Srinagar, protests and stone-fighting were seen at Soura, Kani Kadal, Illahi Bagh, and Zal Dagar.
In central Kashmir, clashes took place at Beerwah and Soibug area of Budgam. Eyewitness said that soon after the Zuhar prayers, youth assembled outside Beerwah police station and chanted aazadi slogans. They put stones and logs on roads to block police vehicles. Police retaliated with teargas shelling. Protests were seen also at Dangerpora and Chokipora.
Mobile internet remained suspended in all south Kashmir districts. In north and central Kashmir, mobile internet remained restricted to low speeds.
In Jammu region, Muslims in Kishtwar and Bhadarwah areas observed a shutdown to mourn the killings in south Kashmir. Calls for shutdown were made by imams of mosques. Business establishments and educational institutes owned by Muslims remained closed while public transport also remained largely off the roads.
Eyewitnesses told a news agency that peaceful sit-in demonstrations were held in these two towns in which a large number of people participated.
Kashmir University has suspended class work and exams scheduled on Wednesday.
A government official told Kashmir Reader that all schools and colleges in all Kashmir districts will remain closed on Wednesday.