Three houses gutted in Srinagar

Three houses gutted in Srinagar
  • 117

Fire tenders reached late: victims

Mir Sabeen Gulrez
Srinagar: Three houses were damaged in a fire incident in Bemina area of Srinagar on Saturday and locals blamed Fire and Emergency Service for reaching late on the spot.
The fire erupted in the house of Farooq Ahmed Reshi and later spread to other two houses damaging them as well.
A local youth Amir Bashir blamed the Fire and Emergency Service (F&ES) department for reaching late on the spot. “It couldn’t have damaged so much but F&ES personal reached very late on the spot.”
Owais Reshi told Kashmir Reader that it was a short circuit in the transformer which resulted in the devastating fire incident.
“Locals tried to douse the fire initially. However when we contacted fire service station, their personal came one and a half hour late when everything was destroyed “, he added.
Reshi further said that first fire tender reached from Nawabazar station, then Qamarwari and the irony is that last service we received was from Batamaloo despite their F&ES headquarters stations scores of vehicles. They were also without water and had to use drainage water for dousing the fire.”
Mehbooba, a victim whose house was hold damaged told Kashmir Reader that If fire tenders would have reached on time damaged would be not this extent.
“When I saw the household things burning I rushed to the rooftop to save some precious things meant for my marriage of daughters. I couldn’t,” she said.
Majid Reshi another victim said that he lost hundreds of Pashmina Shawls which were his source of income.
“I tried to save some valuable items, but I received burn injuries. I was taken to SMHS hospital for treatment and was treated for burn injuries,” he said.
However, Tasleem Ahmad, a fireman told Kashmir reader that they received a call at 4.52a.m about the fire incident and turned out for Bemina at 4.53 a.m. Locals did not call us. Police Control informed us. We were beaten by locals for none of our faults.
Abdul Manan SHO Bemina told Kashmir Reader that investigation is going on, “but locals say the cause of the fire is a short circuit.”