Kamran Yousuf home after six months

Kamran Yousuf home after six months
  • 195

Tahab (Pulwama): More than six months after he was arrested by sleuths of the NIA and taken away to a jail in Delhi, photojournalist Kamran Yousuf returned home in Tahab area of Pulwama district late Thursday evening.
His mother and other family members expressed gratitude to everyone who came forward to lend help and support to them. Hundreds of people visited the family at their modest house in Tahab village to congratulate the family on Friday.
The 21-year-old Yousuf was kept under detention in Delhi’s high-security Rohini jail after he was arrested on September 5 last year.
On Tuesday, an additional sessions judge in a Delhi court granted Yousuf bail.
“NIA has not placed on record any single photo/video showing that the applicant/accused was indulging in stone-pelting activities at any site,” the judge said in his bail order.
After completion of bail formalities, Yousuf, his mother Rubeena, and her brother Irshad reached Tahab late Thursday evening by road from Delhi.
On Friday morning, as soon as word spread that Yousuf had reached home, hundreds poured in to congratulate the family.
People who visited Yousuf included his neighbours, relatives, and a number of journalists from across Kashmir.
While Yousuf himself remained very quiet and answered queries mostly in yes or no, his mother and uncle were all praise for the people who came forward to help the family.
“His release would not have been possible without the people who stepped forward when we needed help the most. They went out of their way to extend a helping hand,” Rubeena, Yousuf’s mother, told Kashmir Reader.
Rubeena and the family, however, are keeping their fingers crossed as their son is yet to be exonerated by the court.
“He will have to appear for further proceedings of the court. We hope he is acquitted soon enough,” Irshad told Kashmir Reader.
The family asked people to pray for Yousuf.
Asked whether Yousuf will continue to pursue a career in journalism, the family maintained that they are for now just rejoicing his return.
“Let’s take one step at a time. All of us have gone through enough in the past six months. We want the family to regroup for a while,” Irshad said.