Massive gathering at Eisa’s funeral

Massive gathering at Eisa’s funeral
  • 76

Srinagar: Thousands of people from differed parts of Kashmir valley participated in the funeral prayers of slain militant Mohammad Eisa Fazili in Srinagar on Monday. Eisa, 22, was the district commander of Tehreek-ul-Mujahideen. He had joined the outfit on August 18 last year when he went missing from Baba Ghulam Shah Budshah University in Rajouri, where he was studying for a BTech in Information Technology.
Soon after the news of his killing went viral on social media, people in large numbers began thronging his house at Ahmad Nagar. Number plates of several vehicles parked on the road outside his residence suggested that people had come from districts such as Budgam, Pulwama, Ganderbal and Baramulla.
Eisa’s body was brought to his home by his relatives early in the morning. “We received a call from the Station House Officer of Soura at around 3am. He said Eisa was killed in an encounter at Kokarnag,” one of Eisa’s uncles told Kashmir Reader. “We waited till morning and at about 7am, his father along with other relatives went to the Police Control Room to bring his body.”
Eisa’s body was kept inside his home for more than an hour. The crowd that had gathered in the lawn of Eesa’s home swelled every passing minute. It was around noon when some commotion was witnessed at the back of the lawn. Eisa’s body was brought out on a stretcher. People climbed walls, trees, and the tin roof of a single-storey neighbouring house to get a glimpse of Eisa’s face.
Those who carried Eisa had to nudge though the mammoth crowd when it was being taken towards the main road. The body was placed in a TATA-207 vehicle. Many people hung themselves on to the vehicle.
A person, who seemed to be in his early fifties, delivered a speech. He spoke of the importance of Shahadat (martyrdom) in Islam. “The Shaheed never dies,” he said. “Eisa can see all of our activities, but we don’t have the power to see him.”
Eesa’s body was then taken to a large open space opposite the family house in a procession. Slogans of Islam, Pakistan and Azadi rent the air. The body was later placed on a tipper vehicle for public display. Women who had come to see Eisa wailed and cursed India for committing atrocities in Kashmir.
“He was a budding flower. He had not seen anything. May Allah destroy India for killing our kids,” a woman shouted while slapping her face. She was watching the procession from the window of a house located close to the open ground.
The funeral was held at 3pm. His father, Mohammad Naeem Fazili, had announced this early in the day. The funeral prayer was led by Naeem himself. “The reason to call for funeral prayers later in the day was because of several reasons,” Eisa’s relative told Kashmir Reader. “One of his uncles and his cousin were outside the state. Naeem sahab’s brother had requested him not to offer his funeral prayers without him,” the relative said, adding that Naeem’s brother had managed to reach Delhi but had missed the flight to Kashmir.
Eisa was buried at his ancestral graveyard at Umar-Hair Colony, a few hundred meters away from his home. Thousands of men and woman with tears in their eyes followed the procession.
A group of women carried a banner that had the pictures of Mohammad Jinnah, the Pakistan national flag, Pakistan’s atom bomb, and Hafiz Sayeed. They were shouting, “Don’t look at the stones in our hands but at the bomb in Pakistan.”
Eisa’s burial was followed by violent clashes in the area. Angry youths attacked security forces with stones, bricks and marble pieces. Police had to use teargas, stun-grenades, pepper gas and a few rounds of pellets. The windowpanes of a few houses were broken after police threw stun-grenades inside the lawns of the houses from where youths were attacking them.