SHRC seeks investigation status into Manzoor Khan’s disappearance

SHRC seeks investigation status into Manzoor Khan’s disappearance
  • 24

Srinagar: The State Human Rights Commission Thursday directed Senior Superintendent of police (SSP), Kupwara to file updated investigation report into the mysterious disappearance of Manzoor Ahmed Khan.
The Commission earlier heard Manzoor’s fiancée, who was supposed to marry him in November but Manzoor went missing from an army camp in Kupwara in August.
‘Seven months have passed, please find my groom,’ Mehrun Nisa pleaded before the commission.
“For past seven months he is missing and no clear answer is coming from the state authorities of his whereabouts. We are devastated. I hope he will return and we will marry each other,” she said.
“A person is missing from Army’s custody and no one is bothered to find him. I appeal this commission to direct police to carry out proper investigation in this case forthwith,” she added.
Khan has been missing since army allegedly took him into custody at the 27 RR camp in Kupwara on August 31.
The petition filed before SHRC by rights activist Ahsan Untoo states that on August 31 Manzoor left for Bandipora for livestock marketing along with his uncle Jalal-ud-din Khan and paternal aunt Parveena.
While passing through the Trimukh Post of 27 RR, Khan was called by one Major Nishint Gupta inside the camp. The uncle and aunt were waiting for two hours outside the camp. After waiting for hours, Khan was told by the army officials that Manzoor was released from another gate and was no more with them.
The family said the same Major had also called another person Nasrullah Khan who was released after undergoing third degree torture. The family then approached the Police Station Lalpora and filed a complaint with FIR no 63 of 2017 under section 364,342 Ranbir Panel Code (RPC). Another FIR no.62 of 2017 under section 307,343 and 323 RPC was filed against Army for ruthlessly beating Nasrullah khan.
Nasrullah Khan, who was present before commission, told Kashmir Reader that Army is harassing him after the episode of his severe beating and Manzoor’s disappearance.
Nasrullah, a father of five, was admitted in SKIMS hospital for a month after the torture at the camp which damaged his kidneys.
Though a medical report states that Nasrullah’s kidneys are fine but petitioners today challenged the report stating that why Nasrullah was on dialysis for 27 days if his kidneys were fine.
The commission directed state authorities to speed up the investigation process in both the cases.