Jammu Attack: Gunfight ends but cordon intact

Jammu Attack: Gunfight ends but cordon intact
  • 136
    Shares

‘Firing stopped Sunday night’

JAMMU: The exchange of fire between the government forces and militants who stormed the army military station at Sunjwan on the outskirts of Jammu stopped on Sunday night, but the search operation continued for the third consecutive day on Monday.
A group of fidayeen reportedly affiliated with Jaish-e-Mohammad attacked the sprawling 36th Brigade of the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry on February 10, killing five army soldiers, including two Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs). The father of a slain soldier was also killed. Three militants have been killed so far, but the cordon had not been withdrawn as of Monday night.
“The search operation is still on (at the camp),” Jammu- based Army public relations officer Lt Col Devender Anand told PTI.
Several blasts were heard inside the camp late Sunday evening, breaking a lull after an initial exchange of fire, but the army said the blasts were the result of sanitisation operation and there was no fresh contact with militants.
Parliamentary Affairs minister Abdul Rehman Veeri told the Legislative Assembly that the operation was in its final stages. He said firing stopped Sunday night at 2 am and the area is still under cordon and is being sanitised.
He said that the injured army personnel included a Lieutenant Colonel and a Major.
The latest attack on an army camp has taken place nearly 15 months after the Jammu region was hit by a similar attack.
The previous militant attack in the Jammu region occurred on November 29, 2016, when militants stormed the army’s Nagrota camp on the outskirts of Jammu city, killing seven army men, including two officers. Three militants were also killed in the gunfight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.