Civilian injured in army firing

Civilian injured in army firing
  • 47

SHOPIAN: A youth was injured in Shopian on Sunday afternoon aftter ‘unprovoked’ firing by army.
Adil Ahmad Wagay, son of Abdul Khaliq Wagay, resident of Nadpora, was injured by a bullet at Brethipora village.
Locals from Brethipora told Kashmir Reader that army men who were waering Pherans (traditional Kashmir cloak) first started hurling stones with slingshots (catapults) which was resisted by the locals and then they went berserk and started firing on civilians.
Locals said that tbe firing continued for more than two minutes.
A villager, wishing not to be named, told Kashmir Reader that the army came in village only to kill people. “None of the persons from the village pelted stones on the army men, but it were the army who hurled stones with catapults, which was resisted by villagers. We tried to ask them why were they hurling stones, but they started firing on us,” he said.
Medical superintendent of district hospital Pulwama said that one injured person from Saturday had firearm injury on his left leg but his condition was stable.
Senior superintendent of police Shopian, Ambarkar Shriram Dinkar, told Kashmir Reader, “An army party was passing and they came under stone-pelting and army opened fire in which one boy was injured with bullet injury on leg. The injured person is stable and will be able to walk within two or three days”.
A complete shutdown was observed in Shopian district against the death of Saima. All business establishments, shops and tuition centres remained closed in the town and other parts of the district while roads were deserted.
Clashes were reported from Memender village of Shopian where according to police sources youths hurled stones on government forces who retaliated with tear smoke shells.
Eyewitnesses from Meminder village told Kashmir Reader that the forces also fired pellets at the stone-throwing youths. They said that three persons sustained minor pellet injuries and they were treated locally.
Stone-throwing was also reported from Goal Chowk area of the town, but there were no reports of any retaliation from the government forces.
Anonymous persons announced a shut down in Shopian over loud speakers from different mosques in the main town.
Internet remained suspended since Saturday night in the district.