SKUAST Kashmir student arrested in Bhopal after misleading tweet by passenger

SKUAST Kashmir student arrested in Bhopal after misleading tweet by passenger
  • 115
  1. Srinagr: A student of Sher-i-Kashmir University of Agriculture Science and Technology (SKUAST) Srinagar, Muhammd Idrees was arrested by Bhopal police on Wednesday, but has now been granted bail after spending two nights in the custody.
    Idrees, a resident of south Kashmir’s Anantnag, was arrested by a police team from Habib Gunj Police Station on January 31 from Bhopal-Delhi train at Vidisha Railway Station after a woman co-passenger questioned the presence of “large number” of Kashmiris travelling together in the train.
    Idrees was one among 24 students including 17 females returning to Kashmir valley after completing three months training course in Bhopal, Maharashtra and Haryana sponsored by the university.
    Idrees’s cousin, who wished not to be named, told Kashmir Reader that a local woman clicked a photograph of a five kilogram gas-cylinder that the students were carrying along with them in a train.
    “The woman clicked the photograph of that cylinder and tweeted the same with a misleading caption by labelling the cylinder as a bomb,” he said.
    He said that Idrees was not released from the custody at the time this report was filed. “He is expected to be released at 8:30 pm and I’m waiting for him,” he added
    Dean Students Welfare SKUAST, M A A Sidiquie, hired a lawyer who appealed for Idrees’s in court and the bail was granted after the judge was convinced that the student had carried gas cylinder in the train unintentionally.
    Sidiquie said that SKUAST had brought the issue into the notice of Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti and Kashmir Police Chief Munir Ahmed Khan.
    The vice chancellor has dispatched a four member team to Bhopal consisting of HoD, Students Welfare Officer and a senior scientist, he said.
    Sidiquie told Kashmir Reader that Idrees has been asked to reappear before the court on February 10.
    “I’m not sure whether Idrees has to reappear in the court in person or our lawyer will represent him that day,” he said adding, “I can tell you as of now is that Idress has to reappear before the court on February 10.”
    Sidiquie, however told Kashmir Reader, that Idrees was on his way to the Airport. “We have good news as the boy has been released and he on his way to airport,” he said adding, “He would be coming to Delhi.”