Forces killed my son when he was playing with friends, says Shakir’s father

Forces killed my son when he was playing with friends, says Shakir’s father
  • 345

Shopian: The family of Shakir Ahmad Mir, the 17-year-old civilian killed near Shopian gunfight site said that government forces target fired their son when he was playing in a playground.
His father Muhammad Yousuf Mir said that Shakir was a tractor driver who had left his studies in class 9th and was helping his impoverished father make ends meet for their family. “Despite his young age, economic backwardness left him with no option but to help me. He was hired by a local tractor owner for carrying gravel and stones from the nearby rivulet,” Yousuf said.
He added that Shakir was not part of any protest after the encounter broke out in the neighbouring village. “After coming back from work, he went to play cricket with his friends in a nearby playground. His friends told me that when they were playing, they heard some gunshots and all of them lay on ground except my son. When forces saw him standing, they shot him on his forehead,” he said.
He added that they tried to take him to Rajpora hospital but the doctors there declared him brought dead.
“I have no one to earn for the livelihood of my family, he was helping me since I have health ailments and no land or business,” Yousuf told Kashmir Reader.
A friend of Shakir was holding his mobile phone while displayed pictures of Shakir which he had captured during a trip to Mughal Road recently.
Saleema Akhtar, the mother of the slain teenager, was almost unconscious from wailing for her beloved son.
Shakir’s seven-year-old brother was sitting beside his father with moist eyes.
The slain youth has left behind three younger brothers, a sister and his mother and father. They live in a one-storey mud house in Kalanpora village. Yousuf could only repeat, “Where should I go, what will I do? Shakir was my hope in this life of poverty, but the forces snatched my lone earning family member.”
Shakir’s friends said that he was so nice that without meeting daily they were not able to sleep or eat anything. “We used to eat and mess together, I haven’t seen such a nice person in my life,” said one of the friends.
Locals said that the forces came to the village and stayed there for the night, firing rounds of pepper shells. An elderly man from the village said that the forces’ firing forced the villagers to keep Shakir’s body at a local mosque. “Due to the massive explosives fired by the government forces, we were not able to take the body to his home and we kept it in mosque,” he said.