Court allows minor girl to live with her husband

Court allows minor girl to live with her husband
  • 124

Srinagar: A trial court in Srinagar disposed of the petition of a minor girl who in a U-turn asked the court to allow her to live with her husband.
Earlier the minor girl from Bihar had submitted a petition before the court that she was discreetly married off by her aunt to a much older man of Kokernag in January 2017.
She had also accused her husband and in-laws of torturing her.
The counsel appearing for both sides said, “Both the parties have amicably settled the issue out of the court and intend to withdraw the case out of her free will.”
The Chief Judicial Magistrate Srinagar disposed the petition and observed that the minor is free to go with her husband or not.
“The statement of the girl is taken on record wherein she stated that she wants to go with her husband and a compromise deed has also been produced before court wherein it is mentioned that the issue has been settled with her choice and consent. So this court disposes of the petition,” the court said.
On previous hearing, court had handed over the custody of a girl to the numberdar of Kokernag village after she had levelled allegations against her aunt and her husband for cheating.
The Minor girl had said before the court that her aunt Jameela, who lives in Kokernag, has married her off to a man in Kokernag discreetly.
“I was brought by my aunt Jameela from Bihar in January 2017 on the pretext of vacations but on 26 January 2017, I was made to sign some papers and later on they told me that I have been married to Mushtaq Ahmed Hajam,” the girl had said before court.