‘Fear instilled among people ahead of Jan 26’

SRINAGAR: Mirwaiz Umar Farooq-led Hurriyat Conference on Monday strongly condemned the fresh “wave of terror” unleashed by forces across Kashmir ahead of January 26 saying there is hardly any corner or a village in south and north Kashmir where people are not harassed.
A spokesperson of the conglomerate in a statement expressed serious concern over the “instilling of fear” among people (by forces) in the form of frequent raids and search operations in Redwani Kulgam, Monghama Pulwama, Taloni, Shadimarg, Kashu Zainapora, Gunapora and Dar-ul-Uloom Maharjpora Sopore and elsewhere.
He said during these search operations, at least 40 residential houses were vandalised and property at large damaged by the forces.
The spokesperson expressed dismay over the search operations saying that at least 12 vehicles were damaged in these raids and many two wheelers were torched by government forces. He termed it “highly unfortunate” that teachers and young students of Darul-Uloom Sopore were allegedly harassed.
“Kashmiris were not against the India’s Republic Day but as the country has every right to celebrate the day when it became republic. However, at the same time, the Government of India must take a note of the serious Kashmir issue which is forcing the two nuclear powers into a confrontational mode,” the spokesperson said.
“Government of India must also think about the basic rights of people of Kashmir and stop the worst form of human rights violations being committed by its forces in Kashmir. The best way to ensure peace in the region was to take concrete steps to resolve the 70-year-old dispute that has kept peace and stability of the region.”
Meanwhile, the spokesperson castigated the government for keeping the ailing Hurriyat leader Mukhtar Ahmed Waza, who is suffering from diabetes, in police station Sheerbagh, Anantnag, stating that continuous detention of Waza can take a serious turn as person is already suffering from multiple ailments and is not able to receive proper medical aid during his detention in police station. The spokesperson demanded Waza’s immediate release.