Sopore IED blast: Slain policemen leave families wailing, children waiting

Sopore IED blast: Slain policemen leave families wailing, children waiting
  • 197

SOPORE: Sopore: The family of Ghulam Nabi Ahangar, one of the four policemen killed in IED blast in Sopore last week, is unable to comprehend how to stop grieving for their son and welcome his newborn into the family.
“It is really a difficult time for us. We don’t know how to react to this situation as you know it is the fourth day of mourning of my younger brother’s death and his wife Rehana Akbar has given birth to his son, who will be named Moosa Nabi, the name chosen by his father who is no more in this world, a harsh reality which we have still not overcome,” Showkat Ahmad, elder brother of Ghulam Nabi told Kashmir Reader.
A resident of Rohama village of Baramulla, Ghulam Nabi, joined police in 2006 after matriculation, and had been transferred to Sopore few months back from Doda. He used to visit home twice a month as his wife was pregnant with their second child while their first child, Falak Nabi, is blind in one eye.
According to his family, the 32-year-old policeman had visited home on the ill fated day and left early in the morning for duty.
“Around 10am, I received a call that Ghulam Nabi has been killed in an IED blast at Sopore. I did not believe it as he was here in the morning but when the news spread, it was difficult to face it,” Showkat said.
Besides his wife and children, Ghulam Nabi is survived by his aged parents and four siblings including two unmarried sisters.
The family of Parvaiz Ahmad Mir of Dolipora Kupwara had a similar tale to narrate. Parvaiz’s father, Abdul Ahad Mir is busy attending the mourners. He tells Kashmir Reader that he is worried about Parvaiz’s wife Kulsum, who is five-months pregnant besides having a four-year-old son.
“It seems that on the day of my son’s death, we all died,” Ahad said.
Parvaiz’s wife Kulsum said that she had talked to her husband a few minutes before the blast.
“He told me that he has submitted fee at doctor’s clinic in Sopore for my check up as I am pregnant and told me to come to Sopore next day. Nearly half an hour after the call, news spread in our village that Parvaiz has been killed in the blast at Sopore. I didn’t believe it,” Kulsum lamented. “I tried to call on his phone but it was switched off. I was now worried, we all went out but nobody was sure about the news. Around 2pm his body reached the village and suddenly my whole world came crashing down” Kulsum said breaking down into tears along with his father-in-law.
Parvaiz’s four-year-old son, Nouman, is playing nearby unaware of his father’s death and suddenly asks his mother “When will we go to Papa in Sopore”.
A postgraduate in Urdu Parvaiz had joined police in 2010. Apart from his wife and children, he is survived by three brothers, four sisters and an aged father.
The family of the third policeman killed in the blast, Mohammad Amin Sheikh, is also in a state of shock.
Amid the rush of mourners visiting the family, Amin’s four-year-old son Tajamul Islam is sitting in his grandfather’s lap waiting for his father. He believes it is his Aqeeq ceremony going on as his father had promised, and waits for him to bring him gifts.
The family carried out the Aqeeq ritual, Tajamul wait for his father did not end. Amin’s brother Abdul Hamid said Amin living with his wife and his son in a small house with two rooms for the last three years.
“I think they have now lost the reason to live,” he said.
Amin had joined police in 2010 and was post in Sopore for the last one and a half year.
All three were the bread earners of their families. The fourth policeman killed in the blast ASI Irshad Ahmad hailed from Bhaderwah in Doda district.