Amid shutdown, thousands attend funeral of Farheen Wani

Amid shutdown, thousands attend funeral of Farheen Wani
  • 1

Anantnag: Thousands of people attended the funeral prayers of slain Hizbul Mujahideen militant Farheen Wani in Wanigund village of Khodweni in Kulgam district on Wednesday amid a complete shutdown across both the district and the neighbouring district of Anantnag, where he was killed.
Clashes erupted in Khodweni later in the day. However, nobody was injured.
Wani was killed on Tuesday in a brief gunfight with government forces in Larnoo area of Kokernag here in Anantnag district.
Following Wani’s killing, as clashes broke out in his native Khodweni area, the army shot at protesting youth, killing one of them and injuring another.
Director General of Police (DGP) S P Vaid had told Kashmir Reader that youth pelted stones at the army, which opened fire, killing one and injuring another.
“One youth was killed while another was injured after army fired at the people pelting stones at them,” the DGP said.
A police statement, though, had maintained that unidentified militants had fired towards the army camp from within the “mob”.
The slain civilian, Khalid Ahmad Dar, also from Khodweni, was laid to rest Tuesday evening.
Wednesday morning, thousands of people reached Wanigund village of Khodweni amid a complete shutdown and assembled at a local school ground.
The mourners took part in the funeral prayers amidst pro-Freedom, pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans. Pakistani flags were waved at the funeral.
Though the mourners dispersed peacefully, clashes broke out in the area later in the afternoon right where Dar was shot dead.
Intense clashes were reported from outside the SKUAST campus in Khodweni, where the army is stationed.
Local sources said that deployments were rushed in and the stone pelting youth were dispersed. No one was injured during the clashes, however.
A complete shutdown was also observed in neighbouring Anantnag district as well.
All commercial establishments remained closed, and traffic too remained off the roads for the day.
Mobile internet services, snapped Tuesday morning, were yet to be restored while this report was being filed.
Train services on the Banihal-Srinagar track also remained suspended for the second day on Wednesday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.