Srinagar: Two mass graves containing dozens of bodies of civilians and Syrian troops massacred by the Islamic State (IS) group have been uncovered in Raqqa province of Syrian, media reports quoting the Syrian news agency SANA said on Saturday.
The bodies were discovered based on information provided by residents near Wawi in the west of the province, which borders Turkey. As per media reports the victims had been executed.
Recovery operations were expected to last several days “due to the huge area of the two mass graves”, the reports said.
The Islamic State group, which proclaimed a “caliphate” over swathes of Syria and Iraq in 2014, with Raqqa as its de facto capital, has now lost almost all the land it once controlled.
It has been held responsible for multiple atrocities during its reign of terror, including mass executions and decapitations.