Soura murder case: Family of accused alleges harassment, Court directs SIT to probe

Soura murder case: Family of accused alleges harassment, Court directs SIT to probe
  • 8

SRINAGAR: A trial court in Srinagar directed Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Srinagar to constitute a special investigation team to ascertain facts about the allegations leveled by two neighbouring families in Soura currently embroiled in a murder case.
The court issued order after the families had moved separate applications before court, seeking action under law.
The family of Ghulam Rasool Rather, who along with his two sons is accused in the murder case of Mehrajudin Mir of Bohlochipora Soura, has alleged that they are being regularly harassed and attacked.
Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Srinagar Aijaz Ahmad Khan while directing SSP Srinagar to constitute a special investigation team said, “It appears that the parties are entangled in various litigations and are submitting allegations against each other. In order to ascertain the factual position of the matter SSP Srinagar is directed to constitute a SIT outside the police station Soura and handover the case to the SIT who shall enquire into the matter and submit the report accordingly.”
On 7 May 2017, a retired PDD engineer Mehrajudin Mir of Bolochipora Soura, was found seriously injured on roadside in the locality, and later succumbed to his injuries at SKIMS.
Police arrested two brothers Altaf Ahmad Rather, Ishfaq Ahmad Rather and their father, Ghulam Rasool Rather on murder charges.
As the trio was in jail, the wife of Ghulam Rasool died.
Meanwhile, Rasool’s daughter moved application before court alleging that her mother could have been saved if the police had conducted their duties and acted upon the directions of the higher authorities.
In her application, she has stated that family was having some dispute with Mehrajuddin’s family who got killed in mysterious circumstances and police have involved her father and brothers in the murder.
“That the petitioner and her mother (deceased), sister-in-law were regularly harassed, tortured and assaulted. There was regular stone-pelting and on November 22, 2017 even they were attacked by throwing petrol bomb at their gate which was damaged. The SHO concerned was apprised of the situation, but no action was taken,” reads the application.