Srinagar: At least eight residential houses were gutted in Shiekh Colony, Kane-Devar locality of Hawal Srinagar on Monday night.
Local residents said the fire was caused by a short-circuit and property worth lakhs were damaged in the incident.
Fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the fire.
The residential houses of Irfan Ahmed, Abdul Majid, Muhammad Altaf, Muhammad Amin and Late Ghulam Muhammad were completely damaged in the incident.
“A case has been registered and investigation taken up,” said a police official.