Tihar authorities refused to provide medical treatment till court intervened: Ehtisham

Tihar authorities refused to provide medical treatment till court intervened: Ehtisham
  • 6

Srinagar: Prisoner in Delhi’s Tihar Jail for the past six years, 29-year-old Ehtisham Farooq is now admitted at SKIMS hospital in Soura for the severe injuries he suffered in the assault by policemen on 18 prisoners, most of them Kashmiris, on the night of November 21. He told Kashmir Reader that the Tihar Jail officials denied him proper treatment for many days till the Delhi High Court intervened.
Ehtisham, a native of Mumkak area of Sopore, was admitted to SKIMS Soura on Wednesday, a day after he appeared in a Sopore court in a militancy-related case registered in 2016.
The Sopore court directed the authorities to get a detailed medical report of the prisoner from the Department of Neurology, SKIMS Soura.
Doctors at SKIMS told Kashmir Reader that Ehtisham had sustained serious injuries and the delay in treatment had deteriorated his condition.
“The beating has fractured several bones in his left hand and arm. He has also received serious injuries and bruises all over his body, especially in his back, hips and legs,” said a doctor who treated him in SKIMS hospital.
Ehtisham’s X-ray and CT scan also suggested that he should have been admitted earlier for proper treatment.
“He needs close observation, so that any damage to the brain and internal organs is negated,” said an on-duty doctor at SKIMS.
Outside the X-ray chamber in SKIMS Soura, Ehtisham told Kashmir Reader that the Tihar Jail police staff assaulted him and other inmates without any provocation or reason.
“They entered the jail wards and started abusing all the inmates. Later they started beating me and other inmates mercilessly, with sticks and metal containers,” he said.
“I was pleading before them but they didn’t stop,” Ehtisham said.
The young man has bruises and wounds all over his body and is unable to move his left arm since the incident.
“Most of us were screaming when the jail staff was beating us. Later, we were left unattended by them even as we were groaning in pain,” he said.
Ehtisham was arrested in February 2012 by Delhi Police on charges of conspiring to carry out an attack in various parts of India.
However, he was brought to the Sopore court on Tuesday in a different case. On the directions of the court, he was taken to sub-district hospital Sopore, where he was given first-aid. He was later shifted to SKIMS on recommendation of the Sopore hospital.
Last week, a committee constituted by the Delhi High Court found that a unit of Tamil Nadu Special Police (TSP) led by Sub-Inspector Muthu Pandi assaulted 18 inmates of Tihar Jail on the night of November 21. The assaulted inmates included Shahid Yousuf, son of Hizbul Mujahideen chief Syed Salahuddin.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.