Describes move as an opportunity to rebuild their lives
JAMMU: Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Wednesday approved the withdrawal of charges against 4,327 youths booked in 744 cases of law-and-order violation. The decision was taken on the recommendation of a high-powered committee headed by the Director General of Police which submitted its report to the chief minister on Wednesday, an official statement said.
A communication from the Home Department, which is headed by the chief minister, sent to the DGP late this evening asked the DGP to regularly monitor the progress in this direction and furnish a fortnightly report on it.
The official statement said that the decision marks the revival of the process of withdrawal of cases which was started by Mehbooba Mufti last year, immediately after taking over as chief minister.
The statement said that the chief minister had started a process of review of cases registered against youths between 2008 and 2014, and 104 cases involving 634 youths were withdrawn within two months of her assuming power. The process, unfortunately, was disrupted due to the violence and unrest last year.
The statement said that the total number of cases withdrawn so far on the directions of the chief minister has gone up to 848 and the number of persons benefiting from these withdrawals stands at 4,957.
The statement said that the chief minister recently ordered a review of cases lodged during the period 2015-2017 (till date) and a decision on the same would be taken on receipt of the report by a high-powered committee.
The chief minister described the decision as a ray of hope for these young boys and their families, and as an opportunity for them to rebuild their lives. She hoped the decision would help in creating a positive and conciliatory atmosphere in the state where the youth would be able to build their lives in a much more constructive and positive way.