‘Murderous assault’ on Kashmiri prisoners in Tihar

‘Murderous assault’ on Kashmiri prisoners in Tihar

Victim brought to Sopore wants case filed against police

Sopore: Ahtisham Farooq Malik, 29, a prisoner in Delhi’s Tihar Jail for the past six years, on Tuesday appeared in a Sopore court with bandaged head and injured arm. The Additional Sessions Judge Sopore was hearing his application that a case be filed against a contingent of 52 personnel of the Tamil Nadu Special Police led by Sub-Inspector (SI) Muthu Pandi who are currently posted at Ward C in Tihar’s High Risk Jail 1.
The unit of Tamil Nadu Special Police (TSP) led by SI Muthu Pandi, a committee constituted by the Delhi High Court has found, assaulted 18 inmates of Tihar Jail on the night of November 21, among whom was Shahid Yousuf, son of Hizbul Mujahideen chief Syed Salahuddin.
Ahtisham, a native of Batpora locality of Kashmir’s Sopore town, was arrested by Delhi Police in February 2012 on charges that he, along with his cousin Tawseef and another person, Shafqat, hailing from Sopore, was planning to carry out an attack in India.
Ahtisham, who was brought to the Sopore court today from Tihar Jail, told Kashmir Reader while sitting inside a police vehicle, that at about 9:30pm on November 21, a TSP contingent led by the SI Muthu Pandi entered their ward in Tihar Jail and ruthlessly beat up the inmates for no reason. Pointing to his injured arm and head swathed in bandage, he said, “They were trying to kill us that night. It was a murderous attack on us.”
The policemen who were guarding him stopped him from saying anything more.
Farooq Ahmad Malik, father of Ahtisham, told Kashmir Reader that the sessions judge Sopore has directed the police to get Ahtisham treated at hospital.
“He was taken to sub-district hospital Sopore, where he was given first-aid with new bandage wrapped around his injuries. Doctors at the hospital prescribed that the patient should be shifted to SKIMS hospital in Srinagar for further treatment as the patient has suffered grave trauma in head, left arm, and left side of the back as also in the left thigh. Ahtisham has now been shifted to Central Jail Srinagar, from where he will be taken to the Srinagar hospital. Till the reports from the Srinagar hospital come, he will stay in Central Jail Srinagar,” Farooq said.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.