Army mum on names of soldiers deployed during Beerwah youth’s killing

Army mum on names of soldiers deployed during Beerwah youth’s killing
  • 5

Srinagar: The army is not revealing names of its personnel who were deployed at the time of the killing of Tanveer Ahmed Sofi, a tailor by profession, who was shot dead on July 21 by soldiers of 53 Rashtriya Rifles, the unit headed by Major Leetul Gogoi who used a civilian as human shield in Budgam on April 9. This has been stated in the report of the sub divisional police officer (SDPO) Magam submitted before the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) on Friday .
The report said that on July 21, police station Magam received information from reliable sources that a patrolling party of army’s 53 RR had opened fire at two youths, namely Tanveer Ahmed Wani and Mohammad Ibrahim Wani of Beerwah, injuring them grievously. Later, the injured were shifted to sub-district hospital Beerwah, where one of the injured, namely Tanveer Ahmed Wani, succumbed to his injuries.
During the course of police investigation, the army claimed that an unruly mob had attacked their patrolling party and army had opened fire on the mob in self-defence.
The police recorded statements of some witnesses, and also of Mohammad Ibrahim Wani, the other person injured grievously in the army firing. Section 302 (murder) has been applied in the case of Tanveer Ahmed’s death, the police report said.
“Correspondence has been made with the army unit to provide a nominal roll of army personnel deployed at the time of incident, but same has not been provided yet,” the SDPO Magam stated in his report. He also said that the investigation is still in progress.
After examining the report, SHRC chairman Justice (Retd) Bilal Nazki directed the Deputy Commissioner (DC) Budgam and the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Budgam to provide the case diary report and the post-mortem report at the next hearing.
In his plea to the SHRC, petitioner Ahsan Untoo had stated that Tanveer Ahmad was going to offer Friday prayers in a mosque when an army patrol headed by Major Gogoi shot him dead from a distance of 150 feet.
The killing of Tanveer at the hands of the army in Beerwah area of Budgam had triggered massive protests, in which a dozen people were injured by government forces.
According to eyewitnesses, the army’s 53 RR was on patrol when some unknown persons burst a fire cracker and it angered the army soldiers. The locals said they apologised to the army but they were beaten mercilessly. The angry people then entered into an altercation with the army and youths started pelting army soldiers with stones. Tanveer, who was coming down from his shop at this time, fell prey to one of the bullets that the army fired on people.
The army issued a statement saying its patrol party came under heavy stone-pelting by a mob.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.