Flames engulfed congested neighbourhood in no time: officials
Srinagar: In a fire in Gurez, an entire village was gutted on Saturday. The inferno engulfed thirty-five residential houses besides other non-residential structures, officials said.
The fire engulfed the village in the morning, Deputy Commissioner (DC) Bandipora, Sajad Hussain, said. He said that thirty-five residential houses were reduced to ashes, however, no loss of human lives was reported.
Fire and Emergency services could not reach the village as fire tenders had to travel twenty kilometers through mountainous terrain to reach the village, an official said. Mobile communications too were down when the fire occurred.
“Fire tenders were helpless as the village is located on an elevation and source of water is far below. The fire couldn’t be extinguished by the fire tenders and had to be fought manually,” D C Bandipora added.
“The officers rushed to the spot in morning and relief work has been started,” he said.
The cause of the fire that spread fast because in the congested neighbourhood, could not be immediately ascertained. “The houses are closely located and are made up of wood. Moreover, they stock kerosene and other flammable stock for six months of winter,” an official said.