Mob in Sopore attempts to kill mentally challenged young man

Mob in Sopore attempts to kill mentally challenged young man

Local youths catch hold of 23-yr-old, try to run him over with tractor and burn him alive

Sopore: Early on Friday morning, people of Sopore woke up to the news that finally a braid-chopper had been caught, in Mazbuq village near the Sopore fruit mandi. The people thought it a big success. The happy news, though, didn’t last long as the “braid chopper” turned out to be a mentally challenged young man, who was about to be killed when the police rescued him.
According to locals of Mazbuq village, the mentally challenged person, identified as Waseem Ahmad Tantray, 23, son of Ghulam Nabi Tantray, resident of Shakwara and at present living in Puth Khah Nowpora, was caught hold of at 3am by village youths who were guarding the streets at night. They saw him roaming in one of the streets and when they tried to stop him, he ran away and went inside the local mosque. He was caught there, beaten, and then the local youths tried to run a tractor over him. When that failed, they tried to burn him alive.
In videos widely circulated on social media on Friday, a number of men are seen at Mazbuq village beating the young man ruthlessly, trying to run a tractor over him, and setting a bundle of grass on fire with which to burn him alive.
The Sopore police came to the young man’s rescue. They took him to Sopore sub-district hospital from where he was shifted to Srinagar for further treatment. Sopore Superintendent of Police Harmeet Singh told reporters this at a press conference that was called early in the morning. Singh said that an FIR had been registered against some indentified persons.
“The boy is mentally challenged as has been confirmed from his family members by Sopore police. He has been handed over to them,” Singh said.
Mohd Ramzan Tantray, uncle of Waseem, told Kashmir Reader that his nephew is not mentally well for many years. “He lost his mother when he was a kid and was living with me till recently, when he went to stay at his father’s house at Putkha Nowpora village. From there he was absconding for the past many days. Some days ago the police in Kreeri caught him and handed him over to us. Today he was beaten by a mob at Sopore. He is under treatment in a Srinagar hospital and I am with him,” Tantray said.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.