Former militant killed in Tral

Former militant killed in Tral

Policeman, son attacked in Handwara

Mohammad Suhail/Mushtaq Ahmad

Anantnag/Baramulla: Unidentified gunmen on Friday shot at and killed a 36–year-old former militant here in main town Tral of Pulwama district in South Kashmir.
The slain, who worked as a fruit vendor, has been identified as Rafiq Ahmad Bhat alias Dada.
According to reports, Dada was attending his fruit cart at the Tral bus stand, when some unidentified gunmen shot at him from a very close range.
He was immediately shifted to Sub-District Hospital (SDH), Tral.
“We had referred him to SMHS hospital, but his condition was critical and I am told he succumbed on the way to the hospital,” a doctor at the Tral SDH said.
SSP Awantipora Zahid Malik confirmed Dada’s killing.
“Yes, he has succumbed,” Malik said, adding that Dada was a former militant and an Over Ground Worker (OGW) of the militants and had many cases registered against him.
This was the second attempt on his life in the last few years.
In 2014, Dada was shot at the same place in the same manner by unidentified gunmen.
“He was, back then, shot in the shoulder and he had run to the hospital holding it. He survived. But this time, the attackers were precise, they shot him in the heart,” a police source told Kashmir Reader.
This is the third civilian killing in south Kashmir in a matter of less than a week.
A former Sarpanch was shot dead in Mattan area of Anantnag district by unidentified gunmen Tuesday evening, hours after an abducted civilian from Bijbehara area of Anantnag was found shot dead in Qazigund.
Meanwhile, a policeman and his minor son were injured after suspected militants opened fire on them at their Handwara residence on late Friday evening.
A senior police official posted in Kupwara told the Kashmir Reader that militants fired upon Altaf Ahmad, son of Ghulam Mohammad Khan at his home in Hajin, Kralgund area of Handwara.
“Altaf is an SPO and was on leave from duty,” said Superintendent of police Handwara Ghulam Jeelani.
“The father-son duo was rushed to SKIMS Soura and are stable,” the official said. Soon after the attack, government forces cordoned off the area.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.