Hajin’s tea-maker serves PSA with ‘damaged kidney’, family awaits release

Hajin’s tea-maker serves PSA with ‘damaged kidney’, family awaits release
  • 29

Srinagar: A youth detained under Public Safety Act (PSA) has been advised “urgent medical consultation” by doctors after his family complained that he is suffering due to “damaged kidney”.
Ishfaq Ahmad Rather (21), son of Muhammad Ahsan Rather from Par Mohalla, Hajin was slapped with PSA on September 11 by district administration Bandipora. Ahsan (50) runs a small hotel where his two sons sell tea and rice near Jamia Masjid Hajin.
“Ishfaq was at the hotel when on the evening of July 7, a day before Burhan Wani’s death anniversary, he was arrested by police,” Ahsan told the Kashmir Reader.
Since then, Ahsan said, Ishfaq spent 2 months and 22 days in Hajin police station and sub-jail Baramulla. “I got bail four times to get my son released but to no avail,” he rued.
Ishfaq is third among his siblings who include three brothers and two daughters.
According to the PSA dossier signed by the DC Bandipora, Ishfaq has six cases registered against him in police station Hajin. “You have an incorrigible bent of mind which is quite evident from conduct over a period of time,” reads ‘grounds of detention’ document signed by the DC. “Your activities have potentially disturbed the peace and tranquility.”
Three FIRs were registered against Ishfaq in 2014, two this year and one in 2013. The cases allegedly pertain to stone pelting, attempt to murder and rioting.
However, Ahsan alleged, “Ishfaq was arrested by police in 2013 and during detention he suffered damages to his kidney.”
“He was ruthlessly beaten up and was detained for 15 to 16 days,” Ahsan recalled.
The family shifted to Ishfaq to SKIMS, Soura for treatment where, Ahsan said, he spent around Rs 38000 on medicines and tests.
“Doctors admitted Ishfaq for operation but we had no money and Eid was near, so we returned home,” he said. Since then, he added, Ishfaq was habitual of taking pain killers.
Ahsan got bail from Sumbal court on September 13 when Ishfaq was lodged in Baramulla, “I got bail (for my son) around 2:30 PM and I rushed to police station Hajin,” he said. “Cops told me to wait as they had sent a vehicle to get Ishfaq from Baramulla.”
Ahsan said cops at the police station asked him to see his son at Sumbal. “It was around Maghrib (late evening prayers) that I was informed that PSA was slapped on my son,” he said.
Soon, the other family members of Ishfaq including his mother, grandmother, sisters, brothers, cousins drove to Sumbal to meet him. They took some clothes and medicines along as police men told the Rather family that Ishfaq was being shifted to Kotbalwal.
He claimed that the doctors at CHS Sumbal had advised treatment for Ishfaq for his kidney ailment. “But police did not show us the prescription till Ishfaq was driven outside Kashmir.”
Ahsan said his family doesn’t possess any land. “(But) I would sell whatever small patch of land for freeing my child and treating him in hospital,”he said.
SSP Bandipora was in a meeting with chief minister in Srinagar and refused to comment before checking the facts.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.